What You Need to Know
Federal law allows 16 year olds to vote!
- Each state and city can choose the legal age to vote for their respective elections (mayoral, city council, comptroller, etc…).
- In NYC, the legal age to vote for our local elections is 18.
- NYC Council and the Mayor are in control of lowering the voting age.
What We're Doing to Advocate for Youth Voting Rights
We're conducting interviews, hosting youth power convenings, and writing policies to increase youth decision making power in all spaces where decisions about us are being made!
- Sign onto our policies in The People's Plan NYC and the In Our Hands Policy Platform where we advocate for youth votes on Community Education Councils, the Panel for Education Policy, and more!
- Read notes from our Youth Power Convening: Lower the Voting Age where we explored the arguments for and against lowing the voting age and how we might make it happen